LittleBigPlanetarium - LittleBigPlanet Forum: Weekly Planetarium Discussion-Next Level Trend? - LittleBigPlanetarium - LittleBigPlanet Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weekly Planetarium Discussion-Next Level Trend?
A discussion on Level Trends

Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Mr. Sackfist 

• Camera Guy/Level Reviewer
  • Group: Members
  • PSN:Robmandx

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Level Trends, an example that still exists today, Bomb survivals. They were oh so popular in LBP1 and still are dominant there. And they still happen in LBP2. Glitch levels are again a popular trend I see on both games. We also had the costume give-aways, when someone figured out the sackbot nack to saving costumes, this came from costume tutorials on LBP1. Free stuff levels are always flooding the cool pages on both games. We then had the newest trend, hide & seek levels. We also have in the movie department "random" movies beginning to dominate

I personally like the Hide & Seek levels as they are enjoyable. As for the rest, I feel they have been done to death. But this raised an interesting discussion point which may spark some creative juices. Angel-Box the Thomas Edison of hide and seek levels has gained a lot of popularity with these levels, this then resulted in many creators taking the idea to be molded into their own version or republished for some plays and attention.

What do you think will be the next level trend? What other trends exist and what are your opinions of level trends?

I honestly think it will be another versus level, we have hangouts and hide and seek. I don't know just yet what it is, but I expect we will have it before the year is up.

#2 User is offline   xerorogue 

• Deputy Mod dispensing justice
  • View blog
  • LocationTexas
  • PSN:jester946

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I detest "Zombie" levels. It seems like every time I turn around another zombie level is published. I see this as a trend as well. Same with Assassin's Creed levels. You forgot shark survival levels too. How many of these have we seen?
Posted Image

follow me on the Twitter @bioswoop

#3 User is offline   Mr. Sackfist 

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

There are loads, yes Shark Survivals are published every day it seems

#4 User is offline   Smurfetta 

• View gallery
  • Group: Planetarium Patron
  • PSN:Smurfetta5683

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I have a feeling the next trend could be Journey levels lol. I love versus levels (well coop levels that is) and I don't know if these can ever become a trend, they take work to play them (which I like). I've seen quite a few RPG levels hit the cool pages, those also take a lot of work to play, but I think those might be trending right now. I would personally love to see puzzlers trend, ha ha.

Oh yes house/hang-out levels are definitely a trend, those are not my fav. The only ones I will check out are the ones that my friends make and the ones that come highly recommended.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   ShamgarBlade 

• Mayor Maynot of Funsylvania
  • View blog
  • PSN:ShamgarBlade

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

Lol, LBP trends. LBP trends scare me and I try to not go near them :P

As for the next big LBP trend? Man... who knows. LittleBigPlanet moon-bounces? Dance parties? Hahaha.

I think that these strange trends may not last much longer... Here is my theory: MMpicks, becoming a weekly thing, probably has the entire LBP community interested. This rapid increase in picked levels may have a result on the types of levels produced. I can imagine many more creators trying to imitate recent MMpicks rather than imitating random shark and bomb survivals, which I think is a good thing!

Maybe awesome platformers, pinball levels or space shooters could be the next trend. Who knows! :)
Posted Image
Avatar enhancements courtesy of Hug-Of-War

#6 User is offline   amazingflyingpoo 

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

Interesting topic. I wasn't really sure how to even reply since it is seemingly impossible to guess what the next trend will be, but then I read ShamgarBlade's post and I think that he may be onto something. In the past we never had MM Picks coming in like this, plus now we also have Planetarium Picks, LittleBigLand Picks, LBPC Community Spotlight, etc... showing up in-game, and people may start taking note of these levels and trying to copy them rather than copying terrible levels :-)
Posted Image
Pocket Moon Podcast: PAX Prime 2013 Special Episode on
Soundcloud : iTunes : Direct Download : RSS Feed
Follow me on Twitter @amazingflyingpo

#7 User is offline   magnumsack 

• PSN:magnum131

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

i know from the time I spent playing LBP1 trends seemed to blend together. At any given time there were lots and lots of kill justen beieber levels, kill x-box levels and dont forget the dastardly destroy a city level. Then with the release of any new hot title like Black Ops or what have you, a slew of levels was sure to follow. Hopefully the next trendy trend will bring more talented creators out of the dark with movies or platformers, it dosnt matter, if its well done its enjoyable.

#8 User is offline   Mr. Sackfist 

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Oh yes I remember those back in LBP1. Journey maybe the next trend in level making, but as you said Shamgar, MM picks will encourage people to create better levels rather than following the trends, so I guess MM Pick making will be the trend

#9 User is offline   mr. krispy kreme 

• Dangerous
  • View gallery
  • LocationNebraska
  • PSN:mr_krispy_kreme

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Alright, I'm guilty. When I see bomb survivals on the cool pages, I do play them. They're a riot to play with my brother and nephew.

When I see house stages on the cool pages, I play them with my nephew.

When I see zombie levels, I don't usually play them. Never a big zombie person.

Thing is, I dont play often, especially since my time is very limited and valuable. I imagine that over one third of all players (completely uneducated estimate right there) probably don't have the ability to play all the time, or they play a lot of other games too (meaning they don't play LBP all the time like many of us do). Thus, these horribly enjoyable levels will continue to hit the highest ranks of the cool pages and will always be trendy.

Also, as new capabilities come out, we will probably see new trends come along. Its always fun to have superpowered sackbots and cool mechs to play around with, but lets be honest. The best part of LBP2 is blowing people up, killing others, and slapping people. For the younger crowd, its really fun to unlock their imaginations by playing role-playing levels. For the older crowd who likes a more diverse level assortment, its fun to do challenging levels that bend your mind and playing ability. Unfortunately, younger players will always be more common than older players in LBP, so you will always have trends of Free (costumes, houses, etc because younger players may not know how to build them), Glitch (because glitches can be funny and sometimes unlock a new aspect of the game), Bombs (blowing up is FUN!), Zombies (scaring yourself in mortal terror is mildly amusing at times), and hoses (it does stretch your imagination). These will not fail to trend in the future.

As for new trends? Well, we have to find new awesome ways to kill ourselves or unlock our imagination :P
Posted Image

Get your own personalized signature by visiting LittleSigPlanet.com!

#10 User is offline   ShamgarBlade 

• Mayor Maynot of Funsylvania
  • View blog
  • PSN:ShamgarBlade

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

I think the new trend is going to be "Raging against the boo removal levels" :P
Posted Image
Avatar enhancements courtesy of Hug-Of-War

#11 User is offline   mr. krispy kreme 

• Dangerous
  • View gallery
  • LocationNebraska
  • PSN:mr_krispy_kreme

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostShamgarBlade, on 18 April 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

I think the new trend is going to be "Raging against the boo removal levels" :P

Eh... I think I'll just stick to bomb survivals :P
Posted Image

Get your own personalized signature by visiting LittleSigPlanet.com!

#12 User is offline   L-I-M-I 

• Inventor of Wishes
  • View blog
  • LocationUSA the beautiful
  • PSN:L-I-M-I

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Darn sham u beat me to the punch. If levels with the word house were to magically disapear from lbp I wouldnt shed a tear, but for the most part I have never been short on finding a level that is fun to play. Cool pages will always be lame pages and will always be the cornerstone of achievement. I kinda appreciate that the cool pages are racked with rubbish. Cause I know one day one of my levels will break thru that filth to reach page 1. That is my next goal, cause if I hit that top spot I know I have created a level that appeals to all ages and not a select community or audience. And plus more plays means I will get hopefully more reviews. The next trend after boo levels, will be spring/summer levels.
Posted Image

Featured Levels

http://lbp.me/v/g-9gwn The Faceless (Music Video) ( Movie )

http://lbp.me/v/fv84kd The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Winner of RPSBBC, Spotlighted, CotC nomination) ( Platformer )

http://lbp.me/v/fgjzb1 Ordinary Joe (SPOTLIGHTED and LBF picked)( Movie Time, Platformer, its got it all )

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users